Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Debut Cliche

When I was 13, I had a debut-like celebration of my birthday. My mom started it all -- the reason why kids, when they turn to teenagers, have debut-like celebrations prepared by their moms similar to what Nanay* has done; even seven-year-olds are having parties like this. Take my cousin, Ella Raine Maglanque, as an example. Last Sunday [February 24], she had 7 Roses, 7 Gifts and Wishes, and 7 Bills and Treasures. =)) But hey, my mom had a good reason why she made my 13th birthday like that. You see, she's not getting younger, and as she is always saying, "Life is very uncertain. I might be talking to you right now, but tomorrow I might be gone." In a way my mother believed that YOLO (You Only Live Once). :)) Even though she's far advanced in years, she's always a kid at heart and doesn't fail to relate to the youth. (Sometimes she claims that too much. -_-")

I'm a bit disturbed. Why? The debut-like celebration is becoming too mainstream these days. Since my 13th birthday, I could remember at least 5 people who had their 13th/7th birthday like that. (Okay, 4. With the exception of Hannah, my sister.) It's almost a cliche, which makes it seem to me that celebrating that way on my supposed debut would be kinda boring. It doesn't excite me at all. :/ HAHAHA Fine, I might be over-reacting with these stuff, but... really. It's no more fun, since you've already done it when you're seven and repeated it when you turned thirteen. Am I right? =)) Or am I just really fussing too much about it? :))

So... I have decided that my 18th birthday wouldn't be like that. I'm planning to have some trick up my sleeve. ;) I don't wanna spill anything 'bout it, but I'm still thinking of what the whole thing's gonna be, so I'm still open for suggestions. :) Feel free to comment about stuff or whatever you'd like to say or anything that might add up to my celebration. :p

I just have to have a single post for this one, sorry. xD And to my aficionados out there... prepare for more posts before the end of this month! I have lots of drafts waiting to be published. =)) See 'ya 'round my blog! :>

*Nanay is a Tagalog term for mother. Also similar to Ina, Mudra, Mader, Nay, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have somethin' to say? :)