Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Firstborn Pressure

Last February 15, my sister, Hannah Grace Maglanque, together with her classmate, Kyra Mikaela Lopez, became champions on the National Programming Contest held at the University of Santo Tomas. I'd like to congratulate them... it's not yet too late, right? February's not over yet. :)) Kudos also to the trainers, Mr. Romer Abella and Mrs. Frelie Faylogna. ;)

During my stay in MaSci, (oh, I haven't told you yet; I had my secondary education at the Manila Science High School) the greatest academic accomplishment I could ever be proud of was being Top 9 in my section, II-Kepler, when I was in second year. Well, for me, that really isn't much; but I'm glad I was able to at least reach that level. I was not able to enter the star section in our batch, not even once. That would be dreaming with my eyes wide open and being fully awake. On the other hand, my younger sister has consistently made it to the star section for three years, since her second year in MaSci. You could say that during her whole stay in high school, she belongs to the star section, since in first year we do not have any rankings at all. And two weeks ago she just won in a contest; not just a contest, but a national contest. Yeah... I've also participated in contests in the past, but it's only school-wide. [Is that the right term? Yeah? Just correct me on the comments, sorry. :)) Thanks.]

The comparison between our academic achievements could be called a deviation from the norms; since it is usually the older one who excels more and the younger being the one susceptible to parental pressures. In our case, Hannah has performed way better than me in MaSci. Sometimes it gives me the chills, but it doesn't really bother me that much. It's just funny, the way we are different to other siblings. =)) I sometimes even say that I didn't give my best, so she won't be too pressured. Of course, I'm just kidding. xD

As I end my post, let me give you some interesting facts about us:

  1. Our parents say that I'm more blessed with intelligence than my sister. By the way, she's my only sister, so no need to be confused if I'm referring to another sibling or whatever.
  2. My mom's already 40 years old when she became pregnant with me. :> 41 during Hannah's birth. Also the reason why my name's Sarah... you know, that Bible character who became pregnant with Isaac when she's almost a century old. 
  3. My mom was 37 and my dad was 33 when they got married. Why then do people say 30 is too old for someone to be married? :p
  4. I passed the Manila Science Admission Test with a score of approximately 800 over 1000. My sister was admitted through reconsideration, thanks to Mrs. Precilinda Arellano. But obviously, she was much more worthy and deserving to be in MaSci. ;)
2 & 3 are a bit unrelated to the post. I just happened to remember that because of my second sentence in #1. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have somethin' to say? :)